Keeneland, the Bluegrass Region’s premiere thoroughbred horse racing facility, has been preparing for the 2015 Breeders Cup for the last couple of years. It's one of the world's most prestigious thoroughbred horse-racing events and will take place at the Lexington, KY, racetrack October 30 and 31. Keeneland has tackled numerous projects to enhance its facilities both for this year's Breeders Cup and beyond.
As Keeneland’s engineering consultant since 1965, GRW has participated in many of these improvements. A few examples of the Breeder’s Cup improvements GRW has worked on include the following:
- Conversion to a new “next generation” dirt surface to attract the top horses and Triple Crown and Breeder’s Cup contenders and in hosting major racing events. Although not a major factor in the conversion, it did allow the Breeder’s Cup to select Keeneland for the 2015 event.
- Installation of a unique drainage system for the new dirt surface, which has performed well.
- Replacement of the Polytrack® surface on the training track with an improved surface obtained from select material removed from the main track.
- New ticket office located just outside the main gate for easier access for patrons and conversion of the old ticket office area into new restrooms.
- Renovation of the saddling paddock to add new saddling rings and improved drainage in the area.
- Rehabilitation of the sanitary sewer system to provide capacity for record crowds seen during the spring meet and the Breeder’s Cup.
- Permitting assistance for the numerous temporary structures being installed for the Breeder’s Cup.
GRW has worked for more than 50 years with Keeneland on a wide range of improvements. These range from racing track renovations and barns, the main entrance, and access roads.